Dial Emma


Jonathan's Art Dilemma No. 17: What are exhibitions for?

Friday 13 August 2010

April. Venice, CA.

Sheltering in the local library during the miserable gap between school and the bus home I came across an article about Chris Burdens performance ‘Trans Fixed’ (1974). Just a small cutting, no picture. The writer was a bit perturbed. Later I would scour through copies of Flash Art and back issues of Studio International for any mention of Burden. This led me to bucket loads of other artists, some fantastic stories and a little more information about Trans Fixed, but still no picture. The image stayed with me.

Eventually the internet and Chris Burden’s extended fame within the artworld lavished me with a small photo of the artist and his cross. I was disappointed. Not with the actual picture, that was fine. What more could you do with a pic of someone crucified on top of a volkswagon beetle, add fake blood? It evoked all the emotions of sixties imagery, grainy, black and white with slightly hippy rebel rock ‘n roll posing. Bonnie and Clyde. Maverick school. Good adolescent stuff.

What upset me was is that a photograph of the event actually existed and was now being included in exhibitions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment